Friday, October 24, 2008

Its almost 1am



I am up watching the Tyra banks show. Tonight's segment is on women and domestic violence. This month is domestic violence awareness month. I am really sensitive about this subject. A couple of years ago my high school girlies and I lost a close friend to domestic violence. Though at the time of this crime , Eva and I had grown a little distant, her death affected me a lot. Eva was my first friend in high school. Her parents we're cool with my parents and she would come chill at my house during weekends. I had a lot of good times with her and my friends can say the same. It's crazy how when someone is gone you remember every detail of the good times. I have the worst time remembering anything these days. However, from time to time I find myself thinking about Eva , little things here and there remembering every single detail. Tonight while watching the Tyra banks show and listening to the girls tell their stories I started thinking about Eva again. Honestly there is not a day that I don't think about her.
Growing up I also witnessed acts of domestic violence against two teenage girls from my block . They were older then me. I must have been around ten or eleven. This situation taught me from young to never let a man put his hands on me. Eva's situation taught me to be extremely careful with who I date. Honestly, the first time a guy makes me feel uncomfortable , I cut him off. I take it as a sign . I might be paranoid and might go overboard with it sometimes but I refuse to put myself in that situation . I am scared of getting caught up. Some warning signs of domestic violence are as follows:
  • uses force or violence to solve problems; quick temper; cruel to animals; over-reacts to little problems and everyday frustrations.
  • abuse of drugs and alcohol.
  • jealous; wants to keep tabs on where you are at all times; prohibits you from pursuing other relationships.
  • become angry if their wishes are not fulfilled.
  • have strong ideas about traditional roles family members should adhere to.
If you or someone you know is being abused please get help.

No comments: