Monday, September 29, 2008

How could she ?


As I was heading downtown on the subway early sunday afternoon to meet with a client I sat in my seat reading an article from the NY Post Page Six Magazine with a confounded look on my face. I was so into the magazine, I did not even notice the attractive sweet looking dude reading over my arm. Kind of hard to do with my lack of concentration. I just could not believe what I was reading . It did not make any sense to me at all. So a writer at Page Six came out the closet as a Republican. Now there is nothing wrong with that . To each it's own but the things she wrote... wtf?


In creative industries where everything is projected through a spectrum of
coolness, being a rightie rubs off cred faster than a Brillo pad. "I
restrain
myself at every dinner party and work lunch—really every situation
in my life,"
a secretly Republican fashion photographer revealed to me a few
weeks ago. He
won't divulge his name because, he says, "I don't want to
damage my career."

OK Sure the fashion industry is mostly Democratic, but it is not because it is "cool" to be one, it is because we, like many other industries have experienced first hand of what these last 8 years have done to our industry. Like it's obvious that Fleming does not work on a retail/wholesale level to see these effects. I have been working for small fashion businesses for a couple of years now. Let me tell you , things have not been great for a long time . The costs of making clothing and accessories has risen, causing designers (especially independent designers) to make less pieces or charge higher wholesale prices. This causes stores to sell at an even higher retail price. A higher retail price causes consumers to think twice about their purchases, leading them to buy more items on sale than at full retail price. This means more stock is now left behind at stores. There is less room and less money for retailers to purchase more clothing leading designers with extra stock that will not sell or less profit because negotiations now have to be made. Less of a profit means cuts and this includes laying people off. If people keep getting laid off , the small fashion houses are going to start closing and now Fleming will have nothing to write about leading her without a job. When she finds herself in that situation, she will wake up and regret voting for McCain because Mc.Cain is all about fixing "Wall street" first instead of fixing "Main street".


No comments: