Wednesday, December 3, 2008

We have different religions but one thing we have in common is PRAYER

A couple of days ago a cab driver tried to convert me into the Islamic faith. I usually get offended right away . I don't get offended because of the belief that my religion is the "right one". I get offended because people believe that their religion is the "right one" and want to force it on to others. With that said , please don't get offended with what I am about to say. These are my opinions and I am not putting anyone down . 
I was baptized Catholic and attended Catholic school until the age of 13. I never liked going to church . Well, only that once a month school assembly when the songs were full of life . My grandmother is EXTREMELY religious. Abuela Prays a couple of times every single day and goes to church every single Sunday. She would drag me along with her most of the times. Mom went to church if she wasn't working . Dad never went to church until one sunday he started taking my sisters and I for a couple of months and then he stopped going . I have never asked and still wonder if there was something that took place in his life at that moment that drove him to church. Cause he was never religious. 
I  don't go to church. One of my teachers, and I do not remember who, once told me when I was around the age of nine that you do not need to go to church to show the world that you pray in other words , don't show off. . When you pray , it needs to be when , where , and how you want to . No one should have that control.  I never let this go. Ever since then , I pray all the time and everywhere without the candles and the bible. I don't know who I pray to though.
I know there is someone up there that answers my prayers and sends me signs, but how do I know which Religion is "the right one?" The truth is that no one knows. I was not offended at first when the cab driver was talking about his religion . In fact I was very into the conversation and spoke about everything I learned back in college in my Religions of the world class. He was surprised that I was Dominican and had knowledge on the Islamic faith. I told him I was baptized Catholic. Dude got furious and started telling me that I was worshiping the wrong god.He also told me I was a sinner for wearing the wrong clothes and I had to cover myself up ( I had long jeans, flat boots, my warm coat and a hat) I got so mad and just told him I was running late and had to get out of the cab. 
Not a lot of people will agree with the fact that "the right " Religion is unknown . One thing we can all agree on is that Prayer keeps us in the know that everything will turn out good no matter what. Yeah, bad things  do happen to good people , but with prayer you can get through the bad and into the good. Don't only pray for yourselves. Pray for others as well .  

No comments: