Monday, November 30, 2009

Currently Reading : The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

This book is definitely helping me understand why I am sometimes the way I am and why people are the way they are, not 100% but a little more than I was ever understanding. I am currently in the section of the book where Tolle writes about letting go of Psychological time. What is Psychological time ? Psychological time is when you keep identifying yourself with the past and have this obsession with the future. Tolle says, " All negativity is caused by an accumulation of psychological time and denial of the present. Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry- all forms of fear- are caused by too much future and not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of non-forgiveness are caused by too much pass and not enough presence."
I was particularly touched by this section of the book last night because of a situation that has been going on for years with a friend of mine, that once again has come up. There is a underlying issue between us that keeps coming up through her negative actions towards me. I am not a mind reader , therefore I have no idea of what she has been upset at. I mean every time we do see each other, things seem fine to me, and then I get some negative text message. It has come to the point that I have been disturbed and actually asked her what the problem is and recommended this book to her. She misunderstood what I was trying to say and treated our conversation as an end of our friendship. This was not my intention.
It was wrong of me to recommend the book, but I have been trying and trying and trying to figure out what I did wrong and I have yet to hear an answer. All I keep getting is cold shoulders and unanswered calls. It just so happens that I was at this point in the book last night. Even though I have been told to stop stressing this issue , that it is out of my control. I did not believe it until I read this paragraph. IT IS OUT OF MY CONTROL. Unfortunately this person is clearly living in the past and not in the present and can not get over what ever the issue is.
I have done everything I can to figure this out. I can not figure it out without the other person's help. Therefor I will continue with my life until the person comes to the realization of why they are who they are and tries to do something about it. I have come to the realization that though I may be some sort of "life coach" to some people, I can not help anyone , unless they start looking within themselves first.

No comments: